Students who study abroad through a UNL approved education abroad experience are eligible to apply that study abroad experience to the ACE 9 outcome completion. Review your DARS or meet with your academic adviser to determine if you would benefit from this opportunity.
Education Abroad Experience for ACE 9
ACE 9 outcome: Exhibit global awareness or knowledge of human diversity through analysis of an issue.
If a student participates in a UNL approved education abroad experience, they are eligible to apply that education abroad experience to the ACE 9 outcome completion, with the approved form outlined below. UNL approved education abroad programs can incorporate faculty-led UNL directed programs, Exchange Programs, programs offered through affiliation agreements, or individual programs that students have pre-approved before departure. Please see the UNL Education Abroad office website (http://educationabroad.unl.edu) for the current list of UNL approved education abroad programs.
To receive ACE 9 outcome completion waiver for the international experience, the student must study abroad, in an academic setting, at an international institution and upon return to UNL, complete a paper reflecting on a global issue he/she encountered on this experience. The experience of education abroad, not necessarily the course itself, would satisfy ACE 9. A waiver of ACE 9 is given, no credit hours are granted for ACE 9. The co-curricular education abroad experience, as described in this document, then meets the spirit of the outcome and upholds the integrity of the ACE program.
The use of education abroad to complete the ACE 9 outcome is a special case of the Co-Curricular Experience. According to the ACE Governing Documents (ACE Governing Documents 4: Governance & Assessment, page 3), a Co-Curricular Experience can only be used one time to complete only one ACE outcome. Therefore, a student can complete either the Co-Curricular Experience or the Education Abroad experience for completion of one ACE outcome, but not both.
- The student must enroll in a credit-bearing, UNL approved education abroad course. A minimum of 3 credit hours must be completed during the education abroad experience and transferred back to UNL.
- ACE 9 outcome completion is to be granted for the experience of the education abroad rather than for a specific course. No credit is given for completion of ACE 9. The education abroad experience only completes the ACE 9 requirement with no hours earned for the outcome. Courses completed during the education abroad experience can be used to fulfill other ACE outcomes. Please talk with your adviser about appropriate transfer education abroad courses for other ACE outcomes.
- The student must work with the UNL Education Abroad Office (420 University Terrace) to initiate this process before the student leaves for the international experience. After completing the education abroad experience, the student will complete an essay (or additional requirements as specified by the student's home college) and complete the paperwork with the student's home college associate dean.
Steps to complete this process:
- The student must indicate his or her intention to receive ACE 9 credit for the education abroad experience by attending the pre-international experience orientation session offered by the Education Abroad office or the faculty leader for the program.
- After returning from the international experience, the student must complete the Post-Education Abroad ACE 9 Completion Form, have the Education Abroad office sign the form verifying the student completed the education abroad experience, and submit it to the appropriate Associate Dean in the student's home college. This completion form requires a student to write a minimum 2 page reflection on some type of global issued he/she encountered during the education abroad experience. Colleges may require additional work or documentation to complete the requests, students should check with their home college for additional guidelines.
- The appropriate Associate Dean (of the student's home college) signs and forwards the Post-Education Abroad ACE 9 Completion form to the Office of Registration & Records to document completion of ACE 9 in the Degree Audit System and a copy of the form and the student's reflection paper are sent to the Undergraduate Education office (222 Seaton Hall) for assessment purposes.