Health Insurance

All students are required to have insurance that covers accidents and sickness, medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and emergency assistance during their education abroad program.

Coverage on UNL-Administered Programs

You are required to have health insurance while studying abroad on a University of Nebraska-Lincoln program. Students/participants on UNL-administered programs are automatically enrolled in international accident and sickness insurance for each day captured in your official program dates. The Education Abroad Office will enroll you in the plan. You will then receive an email from the insurance company instructing you to log in to their website to access your ID card and other useful information including a directory of hospitals and doctors, translations of medical vocabulary, and city safety guides. All expenses for doctors, hospitalization, medication, and so on, will likely be paid out-of-pocket. There is no deductible, and you will be reimbursed after you submit your claim information online or via mail, along with all receipts for the costs that you incurred. The insurance program has an emergency assistance benefit built in.

UnitedHealthcare Global: $1.58 per day. Please read the coverage details carefully.

Coverage on Non-UNL Programs

If you are participating in a non-UNL program (primarily administered by an institution or organization other than UNL), please ask your program provider about insurance coverage. If coverage is not as inclusive as UNL's UHCG coverage (for example, if it does not include medical evacuation and/or repatriation of remains), you will be required to enroll in UNL's UHCG policy for the duration of the program.

If your program does not require you to enroll in any particular insurance plan, you will be required to enroll in UNL's UHCG policy for the duration of the program.

Coverage during Independent Travel

If you plan to travel independently outside of the official program dates, you will have the option to extend your UHCG coverage under the same university-procured policy at an additional cost of $1.58 per day, for up to 30 days. You are strongly encouraged to extend your coverage to include the entire duration of your international trip, from the day you depart the U.S. to the day you return to the U.S. If you wish to extend for more than 30 days beyond your official program dates, you are encouraged to enroll in an individual policy similar to the university policy.

Continuous Insurance Coverage in the U.S.

Do not let your regular U.S. insurance coverage lapse while you are out of the country. This is important for a variety of reasons, including the fact that your UHCG coverage ends the day you return to the U.S. Even if you became ill while abroad, any follow-up treatments in the U.S. will not be covered by the UHCG policy.