NOTE: The information below describes the first Husker Passport Giveaway, which took place in January 2020. The Education Abroad Office hopes to offer this opportunity again in the future, when normal U.S. passport processing resumes.
The Education Abroad Office, in partnership with the UNL Passport Office, is giving away 100 passports to University of Nebraska-Lincoln students. The cost of obtaining a passport is approximately $160 (application fees, photos, and shipping). Special thanks to affiliated partners API, DIS, ISA, and SIT, which each sponsored a passport.
To be considered for a free passport, you must be:
- a current UNL undergraduate student, actively enrolled in Fall 2019 and Spring 2020
- a U.S. citizen
- at least 18 years old
- applying for your first US passport (if you are renewing your passport, you are not eligible for this opportunity)
Priority is given to:
- first generation college students
- students who articulate financial need
- students who have two or more semesters remaining before graduation
- students who plan to participate in an education abroad program during their undergraduate career
Recipients will be selected based on meeting eligibility requirements and quality of the application essay.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The application will close on Friday, November 1 at 11:59 pm.
You will apply for your passport in person during the week of January 27-31, 2020. The passport processing time is currently 6-8 weeks, so you should receive your passport by late March 2020. Please plan your travel accordingly. (If you need your passport sooner, you will have the opportunity to request an earlier appointment or pay a $60 fee to expedite the process).