- What are your reasons for going abroad? What goals do you have, and how will you achieve them?
- What barriers do you think you may encounter, and how will you overcome them?
- What safety and/or legal considerations should you be aware of in your host country?
- What is the political climate of your host country?
Ask your Education Abroad Coordinator and other program staff:
- What are some affiliated organizations that are known for supporting LGBTQ+ students?
- Does the program offer LGBTQA+ friendly housing options?
- What community organizations are available in my host country to offer support?
Prepare and Research:
- Explore options and look into multiple programs that interest you.
- Learn about your destination. Determine the legality and climate within your host country.
- Be prepared. Update your passport and other legal documents if necessary.
- Talk with an Education Abroad staff member or a representative from any of the resources below if you have further hesitations or concerns throughout the process.
- University of Minnesota: Orientation for GLBT Students Studying Abroad
- NAFSA: Rainbow Special Interest Group
- ILGA: Map of Sexual Orientation Laws in the World
- ILGA: Trans Legal Mapping Report
- LGBT Student Guide to Study Abroad (free e-book!)