While abroad, you will have the opportunity to gain new understandings on faith, religion and spirituality as you observe how they are practiced around the world.
- Are you looking for a religious, spirtual or faith-based community abroad?
- What do you know about the religion(s) of your host country and the role religion plays in society, politics and culture?
- Is your religion legal or acknowledged in your host country?
- Will the host culture's practices of your faith model your own practices at home?
- Will your religion’s holidays be observed and celebrated in your host country? If not, how do you plan to observe these holidays?
- Will your religious dietary restrictions be accommodated in your host country?
- How do you want to talk (or not talk) about your faith, religion, and/or spirituality with others in the host country?
- Do you want to participate in campus organizations that are available to visiting students focused on an aspect of religion, faith, spirituality or atheism?
Ask your Education Abroad Coordinator and other program staff:
- What resources are available to help me find support specific to my faith-based community while I am abroad: Are there faith based volunteer organizations? Places to worship? Student organizations?
- Are there any laws regarding religion in my host country? Is there a separation between religion and government (state)?
- Will I be expected to participate in the religious practices of my host family abroad?
Prepare and Research:
- Learn about your destination.
- For students searching for a particular religious or spiritual group abroad the following sites may prove helpful from Northwestern University Global Learning Office.
- Reach out to faculty members with expertise specific to your host country.
- Religious & Spiritual Recognized Student Organizations (RSO) at UNL. Students can find out about the different RSO through the NVolveU2.0 page
- IES Abroad Religion & Spirituality Resources: Students can read more about the experiences of students from a variety of religious and spiritual backgrounds in a variety of locations around the globe.
- Religious Diversity Abroad
- IES Abroad Dietary Resources.
- Connect with your local faith community.
If I have more questions, who should I contact in the Education Abroad Office?
- Stephanie Benes, Education Abroad & Marketing Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allison Hinesley, Assistant Director, email@example.com