Before You Go

Country-Specific Health Info

As you choose a host country, submit your application, and prepare to depart, pay special attention to whether the host country's food, climate, access to medical care, etc. are compatible with your health needs. Be sure to read about the health advisories and immunization requirements and recommendations specific to your host country:

Medical Checkups & Clearances

Visit your health care providers prior to your departure to ask for advice about how to manage your personal health concerns while abroad. The organization or institution arranging your program may also request that you have your doctor (and mental health professional, if applicable) complete a special health evaluation form. In most cases, your health should not disqualify you from studying abroad. Your doctors, advisors, and coordinators will either find ways to accommodate your needs on your preferred program, or they will suggest alternative programs or countries, or a later departure date.

Obtaining a UNL Health Clearance is a requirement to participate in any education abroad program for which you will receive UNL sponsorship or credit. If you do not comply with this requirement, then you will not be approved to participate in, or may be dismissed at your own expense from, the education abroad program. (Note: If your education abroad program is administered by another organization or institution, and the administering organization or institution will collect health information from you using its own processes, then you are exempt from obtaining a UNL Health Clearance).

The process consists of two forms:

1) Confidential Health History Form

  • Completed by participant.
  • NOT submitted to Education Abroad.

2) Health Clearance Form

  • Completed by health care provider.
  • Submitted to Education Abroad.

The deadline to submit the Health Clearance Form depends on the departure date of your selected program, and whether you need accommodations:

  • No later than one calendar month before departure if you do not need accommodations.
  • No later than two calendar months before departure if you do need accommodations. (You must apply for accommodations with the Services for Students with Disabilities Office).

Personal Health Inventory

Take inventory of your concerns and potential issues that may affect you while abroad. Which ones concern you? What steps do you need to take, and what resources do you need to access, in order to avoid problems?

  • ability/disability issues
  • alcohol or drug use/abuse
  • allergies
  • contraceptives
  • dental care
  • dietary concerns
  • exercise
  • emergency resources
  • eyeglass/contact prescription
  • gender-specific health care
  • health advisories
  • mental health and culture shock
  • medications/supplies
  • sexuality
  • sleep patterns
  • smoking

Shots and Inoculations

Some countries require immunizations of all visitors. Your program provider should inform you of any recommended and/or required shots and inoculations prior to departing. To find out about specific inoculations required to enter your host country or countries in which you may wish to travel, consult the Travel Clinic at the UNL Health Center.

The Travel Clinic will provide you with a World Health Organization (WHO) "International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis." Any inoculation should be recorded in this yellow booklet with an officially approved stamp.

Many immunizations require at least 14 days prior to travel to be effective. Since many inoculations require more than one visit to the clinic or cannot be taken in combination with others, please start the process well in advance of your departure.

Students with Disabilities

For information and resources specific to students with disabilities, please visit Mobility International USA (MIUSA).

If you have a disability or health-related need and believe you need accommodation to meet the requirements of program participation: Make an appointment and be prepared to submit documentation of a disability or health-related need, along with a request for reasonable accommodation to the Services for Students with Disabilities Office.

Health Statement for Visa Application

If you need a visa to enter your host country, you may need to obtain a health statement from your doctor. Also note that some countries require a health screening by a host country physician after you arrive in order to allow you to get a temporary residence permit.

Health Insurance

All students are required to have insurance that covers accidents and sickness, medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and emergency assistance during their education abroad program.

Coverage on UNL-Administered Programs

You are required to have health insurance while studying abroad on a University of Nebraska-Lincoln program. UNL offers accident and sickness insurance to students, faculty, and their dependents through HTH Worldwide. The insurance policy cost of $11.30 per week is automatically included in the budget sheet of most UNL programs. Please read the coverage details carefully.

If your program automatically includes insurance, you will be covered for the number of weeks captured in your official program dates. The Education Abroad Office will enroll you in the plan and provide you with an electronic and/or paper copy of your card. We encourage you to log in to the HTH website to access useful information including a directory of hospitals and doctors, translations of medical vocabulary, and city safety guides. All expenses for doctors, hospitalization, medication, and so on, will likely be paid out-of-pocket. You will be reimbursed after you submit your claim information to HTH online or via mail, along with all receipts for the costs that you incurred. HTH's insurance programs have an emergency assistance benefit built in.

Coverage on Non-UNL Programs

If you are participating in a non-UNL program (primarily administered by an institution or organization other than UNL), please ask your program provider about insurance coverage. If coverage is not as inclusive as UNL's HTH coverage (for example, if it does not include medical evacuation and/or repatriation of remains), you will be required to enroll in UNL's HTH policy for the duration of the program.

If your program does not require you to enroll in any particular insurance plan, you will be required to enroll in UNL's HTH policy for the duration of the program.

Coverage during Independent Travel

If you plan to travel independently outside of the official program dates, you will have the option to extend your HTH coverage at an additional cost of $11.30 per week. You are strongly encouraged to extend your coverage to include the entire duration of your international trip, from the day you depart the U.S. to the day you return to the U.S.

Continuous Insurance Coverage in the U.S.

Do not let your regular U.S. insurance coverage lapse while you are out of the country. This is important for a variety of reasons, including the fact that your HTH coverage ends the day you return to the U.S. Even if you became ill while abroad, any follow-up treatments in the U.S. will not be covered by the HTH policy.

What to Bring

Medical Records

While living and traveling abroad, it is a wise precaution to keep personal medical records with you  in case of an accident or illness. Your records should include:

  • all medications you are taking (generic names and dosages)
  • any chronic ailments, allergies or hypersensitivities
  • immunization history
  • blood type
  • eyeglass prescription
  • personal physician's contact information
  • health insurance
  • your religion, if pertinent

Be sure to make a photocopy of your medical records. Carry these documents with you at all times, in a secure and accessible place.


Prescription Medicine: If you take prescription medicine, you should research whether it is available and legal in your host country. Bring a copy of the prescription for the generic name of the drug. In developed countries, you will need to take only an initial supply of the medication, as you will likely be able to refill your prescription at a host country pharmacy. In most developing countries, you should take a supply that will last your entire stay. For long programs, check the country's customs regulations on the number of months worth of medicine that you may bring in. Make sure all medications are in your carry-on bag, in their original containers, and with your name printed on them.

Over-the-Counter Remedies: If you regularly use any over-the-counter remedies, you may want to take an initial supply. For customs purposes, take all medicines in their original containers.

Your Personal Health Kit: Depending on your destination(s) and level of staff supervision you expect on your program, you may want to pack a small first aid kit, with some or all of the following: insect repellant, rubbing alcohol, thermometer, bandages, anti-diarrheal and anti-indigestion medicine, pain relievers, cough and cold remedies, antibacterial ointment, sunscreen, aloe, and re-hydration salts/pills. Some personal items, such as sensitive skin toiletries, feminine hygiene products, and contact lens solution, may be very expensive or unavailable in your preferred brand.

Syringes: Syringes can be construed as drug paraphernalia. Read the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) policies and bring a prescription and doctor's note.

Medic Alert Emblem: If you have a medical issue such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, food or drug allergies, be sure to wear a Medic Alert emblem (1-888-633-4298).

Staying Healthy Abroad

At the beginning of your program, and perhaps throughout it, you will encounter new types of psychological and physical stress. However, the health risks in most countries are fundamentally no greater than those in the United States, provided you use common sense and follow the guidelines laid out by your medical professionals and program coordinators.

Monitor Your Health

Above all else, take care of yourself, and learn to read the signs and signals that your body is sending. The differences in climate, food, water, and bacteria common to an area can affect your health. Some common health problems are: colds, sore throats, the flu, hair loss, weight loss, and the inevitable gastrointestinal problems. You will probably have more ailments than normal. If you remain in the host country for a long period, however, your body will likely acclimate itself.

Do not exhaust yourself. If you don't get enough rest, you will be run down, your resistance will be lowered, and you will be more likely to become ill. Make time for adequate rest, avoid dehydration by carrying plenty of bottled water, and get the nourishment and vitamins your body requires.

Mental Health

Like any significant life experience, study abroad can worsen or even precipitate mental health conditions. If you experience deep and persistent adjustment difficulties or strong emotions such as sadness, hopelessness, or worry, or you observe the same in a fellow student, seek the advice of your parents, and/or a program coordinator, mental health professional, or primary care physician.

UNL's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is available for consultation any time of day.


Take measures to reduce the risk of exposure to sexually transmitted infections. As always, intimate contact could expose you to bacteria or viruses that could lead to contraction of STDs/STIs, including HIV. If you plan to have sex, practice safe sex. Bring condoms and use them. Approach new partners with at least as much caution as you would at home.

Alcohol & Drugs

If you consume alcoholic beverages abroad, do so in moderation. Inebriation can result in poor academic performance, higher risk behavior, and/or regretted sexual activity. In many serious accidents and deaths involving students overseas, excessive alcohol consumption plays a role. Don't become a statistic.

In addition to the health risks of using drugs, as a foreigner you may be targeted by the most unscrupulous of all the suppliers. If drugs or their contaminants make you sick, you will also find it much more difficult to get medical care abroad.

Eat Well & Exercise

You know that a healthy diet and regular exercise are good for you, but it's easy to forget when you have a new routine in a new environment. Do your best to maintain a balanced diet. Follow your program coordinators' country- and city-specific advice about what to eat and what to avoid (such as street food). Hopefully, exercise will be built in to your new routine: you may walk more in your host country than you do at home. Depending on your destination, you may have to seek out exercise opportunities, and find places to exercise where you feel safe and comfortable.

Food-Related Illness

Traveling will bring your body into contact with different bacteria; the change can unsettle your stomach or cause other health problems. Water (including ice cubes), milk, fresh fruit and unwashed, raw vegetables could upset your system until your body adjusts. Ask your program coordinators if they recommend bringing a small travel water filter, or water disinfectant. Boiling water has the same effect as filtering.


Vegetarians may find that maintaining a vegetarian diet abroad can be a challenge. It may be difficult to obtain enough quality fruits and vegetables to stay healthy, and you may not find many vegetarian options. Be sure to research the foods available in your host country. Consider bringing protein powder, vitamins, and other dietary supplements with you. Talk to other vegetarians who have studied abroad in your host country, as well as your host country coordinator. Learn a culturally sensitive way (as well as the host language vocabulary) to deal with social situations in which you are offered meals that include meat.

Know where to get medical treatment

Find out where health care facilities are and how to access them, in your primary destination as well as on side trips. Find out the names of hospitals that provide quality care. Learn the emergency numbers for your destination(s) and know that in some places you should not rely on these emergency numbers. Similarly, in some countries, you're better off taking a taxi to a hospital rather than waiting for an ambulance. HTH Worldwide offers students and travelers access to a community of pre-selected doctors outside the U.S. HTH's city profiles can help you learn what you need to know about hospitals and emergency numbers around the world.