Prior to studying abroad, you must register for course credit as you would any other term. Registering allows you to maintain your status as a full-time or part-time UNL student while you are studying abroad. There are several types of courses you may register for, including:
- Typically used with faculty-led programs
- Request registration instructions from your faculty leader or the department
Special Course Waiver (SPCW)
- Used when a student does not register for a credit-bearing UNL course
- No grade is associated with the SPCW
- No cost is associated with the SPCW
- You need to indicate how many credit hours you are taking with the SPCW because the SPCW default is 1.0 credit hours
- The SPCW does not guarantee you will receive that amount of credits, you must successfully complete your courses and complete the transfer credit process
- Students must still transfer their education abroad courses back to UNL, see Earning Credit
Independent study or internship course
- Work with your adviser or a faculty member to set up an independent study or internship
Students who study abroad through a UNL approved education abroad experience are eligible to apply that study abroad experience to the ACE 9 outcome completion. Review your DARS or meet with your academic adviser to determine if you would benefit from this opportunity.
Education Abroad Experience for ACE 9
ACE 9 outcome: Exhibit global awareness or knowledge of human diversity through analysis of an issue.
If a student participates in a UNL approved education abroad experience, they are eligible to apply that education abroad experience to the ACE 9 outcome completion. UNL approved education abroad programs can incorporate Faculty-Led, Co-Sponsored, Exchange, Provider, or other programs that students have pre-approved before departure. A minimum of 3 credit hours must be completed during the education abroad experience and transferred back to UNL. The experience of education abroad, not necessarily the course itself, would satisfy ACE 9. The student is required to write a minimum 2-page reflection on some type of global issue he/she encountered during the education abroad experience.
For a detailed explanation of the Education Abroad for ACE 9 completion waiver process, please see the ACE website.
Post-Education Abroad ACE 9 Completion Form