How to Apply for Education Abroad
All students participating in UNL Faculty-Led, Co-Sponsored, Exchange, Provider programs or Non-UNL programs must submit an application to study abroad via the UNL Education Abroad Office online application system, MyWorld.
In order to apply, visit the MyWorld page, and login by using your Blackboard ID and Password. Here's what you'll see:
The system will prompt you to provide more details about yourself, and it will create your application. You will then see your Applicant Homepage, which contains your name, the name of the program you're applying to, and a summary of the messages that have been sent to you about your application(s).
When you click on the title of your chosen program, it will bring you to your personalized Program Application, which will list the items that you need to submit or complete in order for your application to be considered. The list of required items will vary slightly from program to program. When you complete an item, the box to the right of the item will show a checkmark, and you will know that the item has been received.
A few important notes to consider:
- By simply starting or completing an application, you will not be charged the Education Abroad Fee. Students are only charged a fee after agreeing to participate in a program.
- Applications completed using our online MyWorld system must be completed by our deadline, so please read all instructions carefully.
- You can save your progress in an application and come back later to complete required items. You do not need to complete the entire application in one sitting.
Study Abroad Timeline
When and where to start the application and preparation process.
Six Months to a Year Prior to Departure
- Check all scholarship deadlines--A few scholarships have just one application deadline per year!
- Consider applying for nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships.
- Know your deadlines--some exchange programs have deadlines nine months prior to departure!
Three to Six Months Prior to Departure
- Apply for your passport. Your passport must be valid for six months past your return from your trip abroad.
- Review the cost sheet for your program, making sure you understand the full cost, and make an appointment with the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid to discuss your funding options.
- Meet with your academic advisor & Education Abroad advisor to discuss your plans.
- Submit your application to Education Abroad through the MyWorld.
- Apply directly to the provider/host institution for your program if required.
Two to Three Months Prior to Departure
- Apply for scholarships.
- Confirm your participation in your program of choice.
- Research and purchase your flight.
- If a visa is required for travel to your country of study, begin the application process. Check the visa requirements at: www.travel.state.gov.
- Seek course pre-approvals from departmental evaluators for the credits you'll transfer back to UNL.
- Visit the Travel Clinic or your preferred medical professional to discuss vaccinations and other health concerns.
One to Two Months Prior to Departure
- Finalize your UNL arrangements: register for classes, update your contract with UNL Housing, finish course pre-approvals, and secure financial aid and scholarships.
- Attend a mandatory pre-departure orientation to meet other UNL students going abroad and learn about how to prepare for international travel.
- Designate a Power of Attorney to grant someone permission to act on your behalf. This is especially helpful when you need someone to handle your finances or conduct university business while you're abroad. Student Legal Services will assist you.
- Photocopy any important documents you are taking with you such as your passport, I.D., credit card, and debit card. Scan copies to yourself and a family member.
- Inform your bank and credit card companies of your travel plans so they do not freeze your accounts; check to see whether your bank charges service fees for international transactions or ATM withdrawals.
- Check to make sure you've submitted all other required materials!