Credits & Grades

Benefits of Earning Credit for Education Abroad

In general, UNL students pursuing education abroad opportunities are encouraged to earn academic credit for the experience. There are many benefits to earning credit, including but not limited to the following:

  • Eligibility for scholarships: for most awards, students must earn at least one credit, but some awards have higher credit minimums;
  • Eligibility for federal financial aid: credit minimums vary by term (semester vs. summer) and level (undergraduate vs. graduate);
  • Ability to maintain student status at UNL: students enroll in UNL course(s) and/or in a Special Waiver (SPCW) placeholder course;
  • Opportunity to receive ACE 9 outcome completion waiver;
  • Proof of the academic legitimacy of the experience, and academic oversight and guidance from a qualified instructor;
  • The international experience will appear on the UNL transcript.

Two Types of Credit

UNL credit

UNL credit is earned when participating in a faculty-led program or taking independent study or internship credit. Your UNL instructor will assess your grade. The grade, course, and credit will apply to your degree and GPA as it normally would.

Transfer credit

Courses taken abroad will return to UNL as transfer credit, unless you participate in a Faculty-Led program. This applies to Exchange Programs, Co-Sponsored, Direct Enroll and Provider Programs and the courses are subject to regular transfer credit policies. Please note that "each degree college determines its policy for acceptance and application of grades below C to degree requirements."

Education Abroad Office requires students pre-approve the courses you would like to take. Benefits of pre-approving credit include:

  • You can make sure the credit will count towards your degree.
  • You will know what you will need to provide the evaluated for final validation (ex: syllabus, portfolio, etc.).
  • The final evaluation will be simpler.
  • You will not risk duplicate credit.

Transfer Credit Undergraduate Pre-Departure Process:

  1. Research courses you would like to take abroad. Find the course description and/or syllabus for each course. Education Abroad recommends you select additional alternative courses as well.
  2. Download the Request for Advance Departmental Evaluation Pre-Departure Education Abroad Credit form. Prepare at least one form per department by completing Sections 1 and 2. In Section 1, list the “Institution Granting Credit” and mark whether this is a U.S. Institution or International Institution. If you are not sure, ask your program contacts.
  3. As Section 3 states: Take one printed form per department with Sections 1 and 2 completed along with the course description and/or syllabus to the appropriate departmental evaluator
  4. The evaluator will determine the anticipated equivalent UNL course/subject and number of credit hours, and will complete and sign Section 4. Please note whether you will be required to have the course evaluated upon your return, and the items you will need to provide the evaluator at that time (syllabus, portfolio, etc.).
  5. Deliver the signed form(s) to your college dean’s office or advising center. The college will complete Section 5 and return the signed form to the Education Abroad Office. The Education Abroad staff will upload the form to your Documents section of MyWorld.

Transfer Credit Undergraduate Post-Return Process:

  1. Your transcript should be sent directly to the Education Abroad Office. Upon arrival, the Education Abroad staff will prepare the Request for Departmental Evaluation U.S. Institution Transfer Credit form or the Request for Departmental Evaluation International Transfer Credit form, depending on the institution granting credit, by completing Sections 1 and 2.
  2. You will receive instructions via email from the Education Abroad staff regarding the completion of these forms. Please review Sections 1 and 2 for accuracy.
  3. As Section 3 states: Take printed form with sections 1 and 2 completed along with course description and/or syllabus (any required items) to the appropriate departmental evaluator.
  4. The evaluator will determine the equivalent UNL course/subject and number of credit hours, and complete Section 4 of the form.
  5. The evaluator will forward the signed form to his/her college’s dean’s office or advising center. The college will complete Section 5 and send the completed form to the Office of Admissions for final processing.
  6. You may check the status of your transfer credit using your Degree Audit in MyRED. If you have questions about how or whether the transfer credits meet a particular requirement for graduation, ACE, or your major/minor, please contact your academic adviser.

Graduate Students Interested in Education Abroad:

Graduate students considering studying abroad should obtain advance information on how work completed abroad can be applied to their degree program from both their graduate program chair or advisor, as well as the Office of Graduate Studies' masters or doctoral program specialists.


To receive credit you will need an official transcript from an accredited institution displaying coursework, letter grades and credit amounts. For most Education Abroad programs and affiliated programs, this arrangement has been made for you. If your program requests you to fill out a form or is unsure of where to send the transcript upon completion of your program, the address is:

Education Abroad Office University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Attn: Rebecca Baskerville
Love South 127
Lincoln, NE 68588-4107

There is no single typical timeline for your credit to be posted to your UNL record. The amount of time it will take varies widely based on country and program, several weeks to several months after your return is normal. If you plan to graduate within one semester of completing your study abroad, inform the EAO, and your academic adviser. Credit will be processed as quickly as possible, however, graduation may be delayed.


You need to be familiar with your DARS and graduation requirements. If you are studying abroad within your final two or three terms, verify you will be within your college's residency requirement. Ask your academic adviser if you have questions on residency requirements.

Duplicate Credit

The Course Repeat Policy states that students are only allowed to receive credit for a course one time. You should not take a course abroad if you have already received credit for the course.

Transfer students entering UNL with prior study abroad credit

If you participated in an education abroad experience prior to enrolling at UNL, you will need to have that study abroad credit re-evaluated with the rest of your transfer credit.