Welcome to UNL!
From admission to arrival, UNL is here to assist you every step of the way. To make your arrival seem less daunting, we have put together a checklist for you to follow as soon as you have arrived on campus. Remember to contact your exchange coordinator at the Education Abroad Office if you have any questions or concerns.
- Check in with Housing to access your dormitory room.
- Attend the International Student Orientation. At orientation you will:
- Check in with the International Student and Scholar Office
- Get an NCard
- Complete the English Language Proficiency Exam (only if required)
For additional pre-arrival information and information on what to expect once you arrive on campus, browse the International Student Guide!
Important Information about Housing
As an exchange student, there are two important things to consider when planning your housing arrangements:
- When choosing a residence hall, remember to consider the length of your stay, and note when the University is closed for breaks. This is important because when the university is closed, many of the residence halls are also closed. This means that depending on where you choose to live, you may not have access to your room during these breaks. However, there are a few residence halls that remain open for the breaks. For more information on which halls are open during the breaks, click here. If you choose to live in a hall that does not remain open during the breaks, you must find alternative accommodations during the break.
- Early Move-In: As an exchange student, you are required to arrive in Lincoln in time to attend international student orientation, which is typically held before the residence halls open for the semester. This means that you will need to arrange for early arrival if you want to stay in the residence halls prior to their official open date. In order to arrange for early arrival, you must fill out the early arrival check-in form in your MyRed portal. Early move-in is charged at a rate of $36.00 per night. For up-to-date information on early check-in, click here.
2018-2019 Important Dates
Fall Semester 2018
- Official arrival date: August 14th, 2018
- Orientation begins:August 15th, 2018
- Classes begin: August 20, 2018
- Final exams: December 10-14, 2018
Spring Semester 2019
- Official arrival date: January 4th, 2019
- Orientation begins: January 5th, 2019
- Classes begin: January 7, 2019
- Final exams: April 30th-May 4th, 2019
*Please note that all exchange students are expected to take final exams.
Click here for a comprehensive calendar for the academic year.